Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Anna vs. concrete

Concrete - 1, Anna - 0.

Yesterday, I was on my way to first period, and I was crossing this outdoor walkway on the second floor, arms absolutely laden with a stack of papers, 30 student folders, and a basket containing my dictionary, my pencil case, and about eight sets of crayons. Asking for trouble, right?

Well, I missed the last step, and had the most epic fall of perhaps my entire life. I stumbled frantically forward for a few paces before giving up the ghost and flopping sideways like a beached whale, scattering folders and papers. I landed on my entire left side, busting my elbow and scraping my knee like I haven't done since probably elementary school.

On the upside, I don't think many people saw me, and I remarkably didn't hurt myself that much. I was shaky for the first half or so of first period, but it was more out of nerves than anything else. And besides, those tights already had a hole at the toe, so I was replacing them anyway.

When they noticed my wound this morning (barely covered by a conspicuously too-small bandaid), some kids in 2-4 asked what had happened. I told them I got in a fight.

With a lion.

4 comments:

Eric Shonkwiler said...

I think you could go one further and say you got in a fight with Voltron. Or at least, like, the pink one.

I had an epic fall the other day. My butt still hurts.

Guy Incognito said...

Do me a favor and keep an eye on it for about a week. Damage to the cartilage in the elbow can result in some delayed problems in the brachii and outer forearm. I compressed some of the ligaments in my elbow during a flat bench when I tried to recruit additional power from my biceps.I made the lift, but I hurt myself.Made it hard to do any outward rotation or stabilization with my biceps and forearm.

I know you're not doing a ton of pull-ups, hang cleans, curls and so on...but the inflammation could make it damn hard to write on a chalkboard and carry your gear. As a teacher,I'm pretty sure that would be a problem....unless you teach them through some other method like Pachinko, Shogi.....or.... Street Fighter.
Hell yeah.

Annabelle said...

Fortunately, I don't think it's real serious...just a bit of a scrape and some bruising. The joint itself doesn't hurt or ache or anything, so I think it's superficial.

My knee is a little gross, though. It tried to absorb the first band-aid in a really unpleasant way, so I replaced it with two fresh Hello Kitty band-aids, which I'm pretty sure are resistant to grossitude just by merit of their adorability.

All Is On said...

I also find Hello Kitty bandaids to be a neccesity. I have resisted buying the Hello Kitty BooBoo Kit several times, but will cave eventually.

I fell pretty hard last night! Our lives are parraaallllellleled. I was dancing with this guy at my pre-birthday party and he dipped me when my legs weren't under me and proceeded to let go of my hands, haha. My elbow took most of the weight. Its funny to think how long it has been since I got scraped up like that, almost makes me nostalgic. Ahh, rollerblades.