Monday, December 22, 2008

from the mouths of babes

Merry Christmas (in advance), everybody! Today is my last day at work before the holiday, and I'm shipping out to Korea on Wednesday. Before I go, here's a little gift from me and my students to you: hilarious and/or charming quotes lifted from their English papers. Guaranteed to give you a smile, or your money back.


First, some gems from the notes of our recently-completed country project. (First-year high schoolers.)

Attempting to describe Big Ben:
“There is big time.”

“I think Ireland is grand.”

“Egypt is mysterious.”

“I like Australia. So, I felt good.”

Sphinx = "sfincs"

Problem = "ploglam"

And, perhaps most tragically,
“Her poster is very pimple.”


Next, let's hear some of the junior high third-years' Christmas wishes.

"This Christmas I want a Gundam because it is cool."
(Note: a Gundam is a type of giant robot.)

"This Christmas I want some money because I want money."

"This Christmas I want smile because I love happy."

"This Christmas, I want a car or motorbike. But I cannot drive."

And last,
"This Christmas I want a lot of knowledge because I want to defend people."

Bonus! A scrawled nonsequitur from the back of the same student's paper:
"Yes I can. Obama said that yes we can."


Well, I hope you enjoyed those...I know I did.

Happy Holidays!

No comments: